Monday, April 14, 2008

Bananas baby, bananas

Rick Reilly at Sports Illustrated narrates his experience of flying in an F-14 Tomcat. This is what I call a very good narration. I can't exactly describe the writing technique required to do this. But Reilly managed to get me into the sheer joy and terror of the experience.

"Now this message for America's most famous athletes: Someday you may be invited to fly in the backseat of one of your country's most powerful fighter jets. Many of you already have -- John Elway, John Stockton, Tiger Woods to name a few. If you get this opportunity, let me urge you, with the greatest sincerity....

Move to Guam. Change your name. Fake your own death. Whatever you do, do
not go. I know. The U.S. Navy invited me to try it. I was thrilled. I was pumped. I was toast!
...................

..................

Biff King was born to fly. His father, Jack King, was for years the voice of NASA missions. ("T-minus 15 seconds and counting...." Remember?) Chip would charge neighborhood kids a quarter each to hear his dad. Jack would wake up from naps surrounded by nine-year-olds waiting for him to say, "We have a liftoff."

...................

...................

"

Check out the full article here.



No comments: