Saturday, June 7, 2008

Idea for a fun new application - George's answering machine

I am a huge fan of Seinfeld. Best TV series ever!

Had this idea when watching some episodes a few days back. There is this episode where George Costanza has a really super answering machine/voicemail message. Check out this youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhhzwjt2AG0



I can't get it out of my head now. It permeates every sense of my being. I keep humming it to myself in the train, in the office, at home, in the gym...

I am sure there are lots of people who would like to set this song as their answering machine/voicemail message. So the application I am thinking about is one where I can go to a website, type in a name in a textbox, click on submit, and an mp3 is generated with my name in the message instead of George's. Then I can use this mp3 with my phone company's voicemail.

Yeah, this does not sound easy. But with somebody experienced in audio programming, it should be pretty simple to write a program to splice together a pre-recorded track and a name pronunciation track. I guess a library of naming pronunciations is needed which would be the tough part.


No comments: